Abortion and Unplanned Pregnancy Information
Qualified and experienced staff can explore a full range of options regarding an unplanned pregnancy. You are supported during the process of decision making when faced with this unexpected situation. Dedicated attention is given to the special needs of every woman and extra sensitivity is given to spiritual and religious needs where relevant. We have a helpful article written by our doctor on 'Spirituality & Abortion' available by email on request.
Our Philosophy of Patient Care is to provide women with choice:
- Women who are clear about their decision can elect to have a one day procedure.
- Women needing support in a decision making process or have related concerns can have an appointment with our experienced staff.
For all women we have:
- Careful and thorough assessment of each woman emotionally and physically.
- Supportive and non-judgmental exploration of the issues surrounding the decision-making process to terminate a pregnancy.
- Detailed discussion and explanation of procedure, risks, pre and post-operative care, emotional care and support.
- Contraceptive counselling.
- Providing a welcoming, safe and comfortable environment to all women who choose to undergo a procedure in the Day Surgery Unit or prefer to have a medical termination.
- Highly skilled and experienced staff who have a commitment to our philosophy.
- Management of infection control, complications, quality of service and patient satisfaction.
- Specialist anaesthetists who have a commitment to quality womens' health care.
- Adherence to all Day Surgery and Private Hospital Regulations.
- Commitment to the highest standards in infection control and sterilization techniques.
- Confidential Services
Pregnancy Termination Service
About the Day Surgeries
The Women's Clinic only operates in day surgeries which are registered with the Health Department and are Accredited (meaning independant auditing). It adheres to the regulations that cover guidelines for staff to patient ratios, sterilising and infection control, facility environment and maintenance, staff training and other areas, as required for all registered hospitals and day surgeries.
Same Day Bookings.
One day procedures are available most days of the week. Women should have nothing to eat or drink for 6 hours prior to the procedure. Please contact our office to arrange an appointment. IUD or Rod can also be inserted on the day.
On the day of the procedure you will see the doctor who performs the procedure, the anaesthetist and a nurse.
You are given the option of a local (awake) or general (asleep) anaesthetic, but most women choose a general anaesthetic.
There are sometimes waiting periods on the day of procedure. Every effort is made to minimize this time. We do recommend that you allow 2 - 5 hours to be at the clinic from arrival to discharge. All women are required to stay in the recovery room after the procedure if they have had anaesthetic of any type and are expected to be discharged into the care of a responsible person or escorted to a taxi. We strongly recommend that you do not travel on public transport after your procedure. Prior to discharge, a member of the nursing staff will provide post-operative instructions for you and or click here to visit the Post Op Care page.
You will then have 24 hour phone access to the Procedural Doctor after your procedure.
If you would like to return to the Women's Clinic for further counselling after your procedure please contact us for an appointment.
We would like to encourage and support multi-culturalism. If you are non-English speaking, interpreters can be arranged for any language and information will be provided.